Saturday, November 10, 2007

Introduction - My Ilford Box


I saved most of my notes from junior high and high school - even some from college. It seemed to me that oneday my mind would get cloudy regarding my youth and I would want to know the truth of how things were - not just as I chose to remember them. Though I've kept journals from 1983 until now, I knew the most truth would come from the notes friends and boyfriends had given me.

Eventually, I consolidated several shoeboxes of notes into one Nike shoebox and one Ilford photo paper box I had leftover from a college photography class. In the Ilford box went my favorite love notes from 1983-1989 which are the notes that will appear on this site.

While I can clearly see that this is a narcissistic excerise on my part to publish these notes on the net, it is also, as I hoped it would be when I began saving the notes so many years ago, an honest picture of the way things were for a time in my life.

As I type this Introduction, I am a 36 year old, happily married mother of one daughter. Reading these notes do bring back floods of memories. For the sake of my daughter, I am happy to recall what it is like to be an awkward, vulnerable, teenage girl. I am also happy to have moved on, to be able to laugh at my growing pains and know that being a teenager really wasn't so bad.

No comments: